Colin special

Hi all quick question I'm in talks with col in building a amp. What should I go for. Should I do a 20w class a or spend more and do a 40w class a. Your thoughts please.

Comments

• I would build the 40w,good luck with the build
  • How much more is the spend...?

My TOCA is 20watts and seems plenty in my largeish listening room. My speakers are reasonably sensitive tho (I think about 93dBs...?)
    When the volume gets to 85 - 90% things can sound like they're hardening-up a bit. But that is at party volumes, and who knows whether its the amp, speakers or my ears (or some comibination). In any case it's not an issue day to day (where volume is 60 - 70% max) and when I absolutely never think "Damn, this amp is underpowered"... But other opinions are available I'm sure.
  • Ben is right what's the difference in price
  • "Ben is right"

Let's just all take a minute to reflect on that...
  • Have you been drinking Sov? :D
  • Why not go for the kit, plus the PSU upgrade, perhaps plus some of Colin's component upgrades?

If I understand correctly, that should give you a power output somewhere between 20 and 40 watts, and should stop you digging too far into the land of diminishing returns.
  • Sorry James and Ben, I shouldn't have been so casual with my words. I must make sure what I say is truthful and has real content.
  • edited October 2015
    IMHO your last post is the truest and most real post ever on chews.