Seca

Hi there guys. What do you all think of the seca kit amps.
I'm thinking of going for it.
What watts are they col said his is 15w have any of you hurd cols. If so what do you think. :)

Comments

• Justin has asked if the Amp could be pushed to 50 - 70W the answer is yes BUT the heat sink will be 750mm High 300mm Wide 110mm deep the caps will have to go up to 330,000uf at 50V and the transformer will be 1KW.
    So only for the BIG BRAVE MEN or WOMEN or a Bunny named Harvey.
  • Sounds like a project ;)
  • Depends what it cost me col would you be brave anoth to give it ago or should I play safe. :)>-
  • It would cost about £3K/ch in parts and you would need 5 PCB amp boards/ch lots it would be heavy about 95Kgs a meer toy he he.
  • Really col I don't have that much. And that should heavy.
    So what about a 30w :)>-
  • edited September 2015
    What makes you think you need more wattage?
    Until recently I had an 18 watt Wonfor class A and it blew the pants clean off any other amp I had ever had in my system regardless of wattage
  • Really that sounds good. I will have a think.
  • My 12 watt Green Goddess drives insensitive speakers well. Plenty loud enough in average size room, but is panting a bit in a 30ft through-room.
  • The money shouldn't really matter, my way of thinking is that, how many of those amps are about? It's elitist really
  • Considering myself very lucky to own a TOCA :D
  • I'd love a toca I really would.
  • Had mine back from intensive care, Mr Quick has made an amazing job with the old girl, I've named her TOG ;)
  • Glad to here it's going strong still.
  • edited September 2015
    Go for the kit! I loved building mine.
    The community here walked me through the whole process. I felt utterly supported.
    I have hit a problem at the last moment, but this wil be sorted at some point!
    From what I've been able to hear, it sounds great. Am looking forward to doing a proper comparison with my TOCA.
  • There's a beautiful rebuilt TOCA SECA on wigwam tonight...
  • Ben . I hate the fact that you can't use your new amp. Is it not worth taking out the boards and posting them to Colin ?
  • Justin. Remember the kit is a more modern design than the TOCA.
  • Yea that's true. Iv just had a chat with col. And I think a kit is on the cards. :D
  • £895 for that Quickie refurbed TOCA is very good value indeed.
    Dave is right to point out the kits are newer than the TOCAs. They look rather different too (to my untrained eye!).
    As I say, I'm looking forward to comparing the two.
    From the listening I've done through the hiss on my kit amp the two certainly seem have a similar sound.

Sov, yes it is a bugger re the amp. My main frustration is that I wanted to enjoy a sense of complete accomplishment. I actually take pleasure from just looking at it and admiring its sizeable chunkiness sitting in the corner of the front room! Clearly it would better if it was working to my satisfaction. Colin has kindly offered to take a look. I'd like to get the whole thing to him in case it's something I've done wrong with the case or wiring or the toroids or something. The boads sounded fine when he tested them after putting them together. I may try to get the whole thing to Colin when I visit London in a couple of weeks for the Wales v Oz game in the RWC.
  • edited September 2015
    Doc, that's good mate a couple of weeks is not long to Waite. I know how you feel though, when I made my 40w amp there was a few problems, and me being Mr impatient pants it drove me crazy. Your approach is very measured, well done
  • Ben he was like a expectant mum to be, dreadful, then it was twins sorry stereo he he. :D Me I just jumped up and down on the box and it worked yipeee big hammer evertime.
  • Colin you were a massive support, thank you. Ok no more man love