St Paul of the TOCA'S

edited August 2015 in Amplifiers
Whilst we all love great Hi-fi, we need to bear thoughts for the guys that make it all possible.
We are very lucky to have the designer of probably the best sounding class A power amp that's a UK product.
This piece is for Mr Colin Wonfor and wonderful Mr Paul Quick >:D<

Comments

• How bromantic :-h
  • Cheques in the post :)
  • Good thread there Mark, your quite correct
  • Hahaha, cheers Paul :D
  • Thanks James
  • Really looking forward to collecting my ole Girl from Quickie :D
  • Hi Mark Paul has told you about the Bandits in them hills near him they will only steal A Class Amps take care well done Paul see you soon.
  • Let me chip in here as possibly the latest convert. I am typing from my listening chair positioned directly in front of the rather lovely Iridium acquired just two days ago from James.
    Joni Mitchell's 'love has many faces' has never sounded better. Flowing from an Oppo player straight into the amp and straight out again to my lovely Quad ELS, as reinvented by Lindley Allen. Feeling that I might have got to the end of a long journey. (Well if not the end, at least a long stopover). Everything is right. Moving from 720i to full HD resolution is the closest description for the SQ impact.
    Just for background, might be worth noticing that this piece of kit is the next in a long line that until very recently included the very very nice NVA TDS that David kindly put my way quite a while ago now. That stayed in place for a super long time for me, until I was drawn towards a Bedini 25/25 Class A that has a legendary reputation with the Quads. It was only with the Bedini that I heard what I had been missing from what I previously thought to be a perfect sound. Unfortunately it also added a mains hum that was a very uninvited guest. But once back into Class A I had no option but to try the TQ. And so pleased I did. I think I am now hearing my 'best of all worlds'.
    So, thank you Colin, and James.

• Here here
  • Do the Bandits throw spears Col? :D
  • Chris, great to read you're enjoying things.
    Also always interesting to read about people who get on with NVA also enjoying class A (and especially Colin's designs). Presumably some similarities...?
    I went up the NVA range, ending up with one of the new TSS amps before getting hooked on the Wonfor SECA sound. Never heard the Iridium, but Colin taunts me that it's better than my TOCA, so I'm imagining you're very satisfied!
    Crikey, just remembered I've got to get on with building thar SECA kit when I get back from my hols...
  • Chris - it's happened to you!

The only place to go after the TDSs is Colin's Class As.
  • Ben, yes I actually came to the NVA sound moving away from seeing whether some Naim's would work for me. As it happened I could not see what makes people as ardent for Naim as many clearly are. I suspect what drives my preferences is the nature of the speakers I enjoy. Namely, single driver Fostex/ Jordan transmission line designs and my ESLs. Interestingly I know of quite a few people who find commonality between those sounds.
    So my journey with the single drivers leads me naturally to a Class A SET tube arrangement. And it was coming from a nice tube SET amp to the NVA was the real progression, Very similar but with TDS winning for detail. Which is where I would have stayed, if I had not started re-exploring Class A in SS. Which is how I now come to be enjoying sharper imaging with more space, presence and deeper, faster bass.
  • I'm really pleased you like the amp Chris, I was a bit sad to see it go.
    I really can't put my finger on it but there is something right about these Wonfor Class A amps. I guess they present a tangibility that I have not heard elsewhere. I've also been to the top of the class A/B amps, and some pretty special valve amps.
    Let me know when your next passing.
    I forgot to say, if you want me to show you what your car can really do, I'd be more than happy to show you ;)