Building Colin's SECA kit

Comments

• Ben try rubber door stop cheap tall strong and allows good air flow even on carpets.
    And I see Dave has something to be proud off with all the right angles above. 
    >:)
  • Nice thought Colin. Will do!
    =D>
  • I'm a bit confused as to where and how to fit the Zener diode that goes on one of the output transistors. Does anyone have any info or even better a picture?

Cheers.
  • edited September 2015
    The Zener fit under the PCB on the IC Pin 7 is the Kathode the marked end the Anode fit on PIN 4, Pin 1 is marked on the chip/IC with a dot or a circle. Anti clockwise it goes 1,2,3,4, opposite 4 is pin5 then 6,7,8
    As viewed from the top legs down

The Zeners the band is the Kathode or cathode.

• Fantastic. Thanks for the help Col :)
  • I'm just about to place an order for the toroids from my own supplier because I believe there is a lot of difference between off the peg toroids and ones made specify for the job in hand.
    Can I confirm that the two toroids need to be 2 x 18V, 6.25 A, Panel

If anyone else is interested in some super high quality toroids 
    rated at 350Va 

Electrostatic screen

GOSS band

High quality core run at very low flux density  Delivered for £150 for the pair, or if you wanted them at the specified 225Va then the price would come down, let me know. 

• Woop woop. Boards arrived today Colin.
    The postie reported that they had been making a lovely sound in the back of his van.
    Thanks again for this. I think I'm nearly ready to begin work...
    8->
  • With regard to the M4 screws...
    Which of the various lengths (6, 8 and 10mm (12 currently not available)) would people see as being the most appropriate for attaching the boards to the heatsinks...?
  • Im not quite sure how you are ataching, but I would probably go for 10mm
  • Depends what your bolting through.

At least 1.5 - 2 x diameter of thread.
  • Thanks guys.
    OK. More details needed. I'll wait till I get the casing / heatsink and then I can have a proper look at what's involved.
  • Has anyone ordered the inner base plate to go with this case? Not sure if I need it but thought I'd ask.

• It will come with it's own bottom  ;) Do you mean the seperate perferated one? If so I may have one spare.
  • edited September 2015
    This one- http://www.modushop.biz/site/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=303
    Its listed next to the case as a related product.
  • For those about to build the Tracking psu you may find Farnell are out of most of the smd resistors, try RSComponents. Also Farnell no longer stock the relay - but I did find it at Mouser as 653-G2R-1A4-DC24. They are also out of 1N4004 diodes and the 10BQ100 smd diodes, both again are available from RSComponents.

I am about to build a second set of these boards and I will try to post pics of the build - hopefully as good as Colin's photos on the main amp board.

Having finished the cases for my first build I will post photos once I have cleaned the finger marks from them.
  • bedsoden, the one i hve is wider, the case will come with all six fides, the silver one you are refering to is an optional extra.

sondale, thanks for the heads up, could you do me a favour and provide the RS components product codes when you place your order, thanks.
  • Well, is not quite finished yet, but here are a few snaps of my build so far with the dynamic PSU.

imageimageimage
  • That looks good Paul, shame I missed you last week.
  • Thanks Col.

Were you in Devon last week then ?

• His work is delicious
  • I can second that Mark.
    Trying something similar myself with my current amp build leads me to respect such craftsmanship all the more. (It actually makes me chuckle when I compare it to my efforts. :) )
    Knowing the likes of Paul and Colin feels like an insurance policy when one owns special-and-no-longer-in-production kit! (second of course to valuing them as good blokes / mates!)
  • Despite Quickies exemplary build I am still going to publish my photos. They are of the completed amp since Colin's board build are so good plus I did not take any shots of the psu build (next time maybe).

The cases are made from 4mm ally and they are used as heatsinks for the tracking psu which generates a lot of heat.

• Trying to do multiple picks on a Mac using the HTML button, but I only get one, I suppose I could just post each on its own.
  • Are these monoblocks?
  • James they are indeed Monoblocks with door stop feet, chunky and very heavy sound great too.
  • Fantastico!
    My toroids are being made for me next week, so I better crack on with my build so when they arrive I'll be ready for them
  • That's a clever build Sondale, I like the way the fest are mounted to the case and the case to the heatsink.

I'm keen to hear Quickies view on how the amp improves with the use of Colin's psu
  • Very Nice Alan.

So am I James. Got nasty chest infection at the mo, so doing bugger all !

• Quickie... sorry to hear you're still poorly.
    :-<
    Alan, absolutely love the look there. It means business. And those heatsinks are positively mean!
  • They look really cool.

I like monoblocks for some reason - the Green God will be monoblocks ;-)

Get well soon @quickie.
  • Thanks Chaps..........
  • He's given his lurgy to me, thanks Paul
  • So it is a computer virus?
  • I wish it was only that Alan !
  • A cough that really hurts, nose running like a tap, streaming eyes, that sort of virus :(
  • Sounds like what my wife has had for the past 10 days or so.
  • These builds look great. Would also love to hear the differences the Dynamic psu makes as i've nearly completed mine. Having real trouble tapping my heatsink with M3 thread either with tap set or taptite screws. M4 taptites go in easy. I was thinking of using a strip of aluminium to attach the output devices to (M3) and them attach that to the heatsink with M4 screws. Does anyone know of a source of strips of Aluminium? All the places i can find are huge sheets.

Cheers, Si
  • undarra
    If it's helpful I can get any type of aluminium made for you and pop it in the post
  • Use a 8 or 10mm piece of Aluminium square bar (loads on Ebay) and three M4 bolts through it (one in the centre, and one either side of the FET's)

This is actually better then using the holes in the transistors ans the clamping force is more central and covers a bigger area
  • This is with five devices.

• Mono block?
  • Thanks for the help guys. I'll have another look tomorrow and take some measurements. The boards are all made just want to start hearing some music come from it :)
  • Paul, it looks TOCA-like...
  • Whatever it is, it's a very neat job
  • Yep, the mono TOCA

No, I havn't built its mate yet ! :)

•  
     A nice pair :)