DC filter

2»

Comments

• edited May 2015
    I just wish I hadn't left it so long before I tried it. Well done Ben for inspiring me !

You can have that for free James. Tho I'll need to charge for P&P;
    those couriers charge a fortune for transporting inspiration...
  • Listening to Nik Bartch. Thanks Dave!
    The bass drum is immense on Modul 2. Deep, impactful, defined.
    A really sparse, well miced, underproduced percussion piece.
    Never heard my system this good before! :)
    I just picked up another one by him and Ronin, Stoa. Another good'un.
  • edited May 2015
    Spent about two hours this afternoon sorting out the fundamentals of the mother trucker balance power supply.
    Spent an hour listening and all sounds sublime. I think I've cracked it no perceived slowness at all .
  • Spent about two hours this afternoon sorting out the fundamentals of the mother trucker balance power supply.
    Spent an hour listening and all sounds sublime. I think I've cracked it no perceived slowness at all .
    All is well.
    Does mine need "sorting" too...?
  • Listening to Nik Bartch. Thanks Dave!
    The bass drum is immense on Modul 2. Deep, impactful, defined.
    A really sparse, well miced, underproduced percussion piece.
    Never heard my system this good before! :)
    I just picked up another one by him and Ronin, Stoa. Another good'un.
    I always think of you when I listen to the 2 I have Dave.
    2's probably enough for me.
  • OK the MTBPSLBDCB (Mother Trucker Balanced Power Supply's Little Brothe Direct Current Blocker) is finshed, now in it's cute little wooden box...

All neat and lovely.
  • Is that wood 1/2 hr fire rated ?
  • Stuffed the bugger with asbestos.
  • Sounds like one of my building sites

• edited June 2015
    Sounds like one of my building sites

I joked about it as a way of proving to myself that I can...
    On a serious note I've spent long chunks of my life suffering terribly with various mental illnesses, including anxiety and OCD.
    For a good few years my life was ravaged by an overblown sense of panic that asbestos was an ominpresent existential threat to me, and by the various dysfunctional ways that I responded to that sense of panic. It took a lot of interventions to help me get out of that place. Pleasingly, I'm a lot more resilient now, and can manage my anxiety pretty effectively.
    In fact, being able to make the asbestos comments above, and even just writing the word there, is a big deal for me in lots of ways. :-)

Anyway, back to the MTBPSLBDCB...
    Sounding good... :-)
  • edited June 2015
    Don't read the stupid threads on LDR pre amps then. Some real muppetry comments.
    Glad you managed to get a sense of perspective. Anxiety can be a horrible thing mate.
  • edited June 2015
    Don't read the stupid threads on LDR pre amps then. Some real muppetry comments.
    Glad you managed to get a sense of perspective. Anxiety can be a horrible thing mate.
    Thanks James. Yes a horrible thing indeed.
    I think I'm more worried about the inane tedium of what I might read on an LDR thread than I am by any new anxiety trigger...!
    X_X
  • Stay away then , unless you want to get wound up by stupid Muppets making stupid comments
  • I'm imaging immediate imprisonment and death awaits anyone who so much thinks of an LDR...?
  • Yes, but thats after their eyeballs have melted
  • Hi Guys, I've been away for a while and I seem to have picked up the HIFI bug again, Ha! Ha!

I just wanted to bring this alive again and show you all what I've just bought.

I bought this DC Filter and like yourselfs I will be fitting it in a neat box between the wall socket and my NVA BMU, it occasionally hums along with my PSU for my Aries Mini so I hope it works. Could anyone tell me if this DC blocker is any good?

http://sjostromaudio.net/shop/mains-circuits/60-dct02-dc-filter-for-toroidal-transformers-built-unit.html

Thanks in advance
  • It's a good question.
    I don't know. It *looks* similar to mine, but I'm absolutely not in a position to offer technical advice on these things. :-/
  • I will post up some Pics when it's finished, I will test it on some old kit first.
  • Looking forward to all that. :-)
  • edited July 2016
    Finally ive got around to doing this little project. 

• edited July 2016
    Whats happend? it wont let me put images on from photobucket anymore?
  • edited July 2016

imageimageimage
  • It works a treat, blocks all the hum!
  • edited July 2016
    Thanks for the piccies.
    Looks smart.
    Pleasing to read that the hum is sorted. Have you noticed any difference to the sound coming out of the speakers?
    And, I'm wondering what is the rating of the toroid in the NVA balanced unit?
  • Well done Boomer!, a nice neat job. As Docfoster says, has it improved the sound of your Hifi at all??? Doc-I may be wrong but I think the BMU is rated at 1kVa

• sovereign said:
    Doc-I may be wrong but I think the BMU is rated at 1kVa
    I doubt it, and, thank you! :-)
  • Don't think I am wrong Doc, it's either 1 or at the most 1.5kVa
  • sovereign said:

Don't think I am wrong Doc, it's either 1 or at the most 1.5kVa

To clarify: My "I doubt it" was aimed at your "I may be wrong". I.e. I expect you are correct! :-)
  • Ah I see.
    Just for me to clarify, I am often wrong. 
    :-/
  • sovereign said:

Ah I see.

Just for me to clarify, I am often wrong. 
    :-/
    So is that statement wrong or right...? :-/
  • Could someone draw me a diagram? I'm a bit lost :-O

• Will this be OK?

• That's much clearer. Thanks Col!