Magnums vs Devialet

My mate brought his Devialet amp round last night well he went went home with his tail between his legs he even checked to see if his amp working ok,it sounded thin empty no balls lifeless,my amps have even been put against an Ongaku which sounded ok but compared to my Magnums the other amps didnt stand a chance really didn't realise my amps are that good  made me very proud to own my amps i love em !!

Comments

• If Colin's amps have one thing, it's balls. Even the little 12W Green Goddess can thrash out Metallica like the best of 'em.
  • And they do everything very bloody well,what wattage are my amps pumping out?
  • edited March 2015
    Oh just a couple, not a lots, just enough to upset neighbours and low flying aliens.
    I measure Watts to old way and at sea level with real horses and Dyns none of your digital lies Watts.
    You should've heard the 300W TOCA Mono Blocks phew did the lights dim at RAMADA that year.
    Well they did when switching them on the inrush current took the main fuse box out whoops sorry.

See Avatar, MONO Only

• Hi Col :) so what would you say they are pushing out? Be interesting to know
  • What amazes is how much bass these amps retrieve and push out
  • Lets measure them!!
    Yes I alway hated DC coupled amps, but most I did have 5Hz to 250KHz + min so bass should be OK and with the high speed on the edge of drum etc. the higher frequency bandwidth helps to present the snap you need.
    The TOCA and the latest "A" Class amps are 5Hz - 1MHz flat with huge energy storage in the high speed low ESR capacitors.
    And just a bit of a over engined transformers. 
    But bigger is better so amp become heavy less likely to be stolen if it is 180Kgs each. 
    >:)
  • edited March 2015
    The Boss speaks,ok i understand none of that im just a bloke who likes his music lol so how many watts do amps have? By the way i have just turned my amps quite a bit more than normal and my eyes watered and the hairs on my arms stuck up with sheer enjoyment. Never had that before .
  • My mate brought his Devialet amp round last night well he went went home with his tail between his legs he even checked to see if his amp working ok,it sounded thin empty no balls lifeless,my amps have even been put against an Ongaku which sounded ok but compared to my Magnums the other amps didnt stand a chance really didn't realise my amps are that good  made me very proud to own my amps i love em !!
    A few scalps there! ☺️
    Nice one.
    IMHO Col's amps do carry off that elusive trick of body and air.
  • edited March 2015
    They sure can move air!

This is a cool thread, and I'd love to hear top of the line Magnums. My mate has the 250 stereo power amp and it's lovely (I kept the matching pre until I can make a replacement). I remain fascinated by Devialet though, they are a cool company IMO.

These Wonf-amps are superb at low volume, they really can fill and drive a room without needing high SPL; but they are much, much better at high volumes!!! >:) Stranger though is they don't sound loud even when the sofa vibrates and jumps around the room like an unbalanced washing machine due to volume. My neighbor claims she has never heard my music playing, yet I hear her husband's TV. Now that's clean, undistorted power.

Colin, your comments on bandwidth (and presumably phase accuracy throughout) are really interesting. What's the bandwidth of, say, a typical old Magnum, a classic Claymore, and simpler SECA amps (like Green Goddess, my beasts and TOCAs)?
  • Yes i found that everything vibrating in the front room at low volume but no complaints from neighbours,in the past ive had to turn my amps up quite loud to get some sort of sense out them which to me is wrong,so to find an amp that you can listen to quietly and yet everything comes out the speakers highs and lows is very rare fantastic amps!! If only designers of today would make stuff like Cols they would be on to a winner but unfortunately they wont and they put a limited life span on their gear and keep wanting people to upgrade and go further up their ladder :( sorry if i offend anyone but hey i see it that way) You cant beat proper 2 channel stereo :)
  • The musical experience is very tangible. Not just three-dimensional or textured.

Or something in that area ;-)
  • Yes definitely solid and real
  • edited March 2015
    Good!  I've been getting tired of all the threads proclaiming Devialet are the best ever & that we should sell our stacks for one-box superiority. :P 
  • Good!  I've been getting tired of all the threads proclaiming Devialet are the best ever & that we should sell our stacks for one-box superiority. :P 
    Their are some are that are susceptible to the power of suggestion and then their are people like us who say NO not a chance.