A different class A

Been trying out my "spare" Class A this week for the first time in a few months: The Inca Designs ID25. It's not single ended, but am really enjoying it. Imaging, midrange and overall smoothness is addictive. Bass and trebble are not as extended as the SECA; bass is not as impactful and trebble not as sweet. But, overall to my ears, it keeps in common more with the SECA than it loses.
Ultimately, it's reminding me how I don't think I could go back to A/B as i know it...
Would be interested in hearing some non-Wonfor class A designs to see how they compare.

Comments

• Sounds great a low volumes too...!
  • ...and after a couple of grappas...!
  • Today, with the volume higher, the differences are more apparent. The sound of the ID25 is softer and less incisive in comparison with my recollection the SECA.
  • You need to get hold of a Nelson Pass Tranny Class A, Ben.

There are a few around this side of the pond, I think.

And I agree with you. Single-ended is the way to go.
  • edited September 2014
    Thanks Dave.
    I will keep vigilant for the Nelson Pass...!
    I had it confirmed today that the ID25 is indeed single ended, which I suppose explains my initial (pleasant) surprise that it sounded somewhat similar to the TOCA. Apparently (according to the man himself) the main difference between the two is that there are more washing maching parts in the TOCA...
    The TOCA is back in now. :-)
    I don't know what to do with the ID25. It's too good to sell, but I have no where to use it. :-/
  • I'm using a Decware single ended (valve) amp at the moment. My first experience of a single-ended class A amp. Sounds great if slightly lacking in bass weight. I think class A is the way forward for me so looking forward to Colin's kit.
  • Not sure of Decware amps, but the very first thing I noticed of the iridium was the amount of defined bass
  • The Iridium is very good at the bass end. The lower-power kit will not be so impressive in its basic form, but I understand the power supply upgrade will take care of some (most?) of that.

Again, the Iridium is a much more sophisticated beast (and expensive!), so it will be better than the kit.

I suspect the kit will be on a level with the Green Goddess, who has great bass definition, but not the extension and weight of the Iridium.

I'm sure Colin will help by clearing up any inaccuracies contained within this post ;-)