The fans are noisy

This discussion was created from comments split from: Wake up has everybody gone on holiday..

Comments

• How's the 'puter coming on, man?
  • Waiting and waiting again...

I bought a second hand Mcmini for £100 and loaded my old SSD and bit's'nbobs on it, so I'm operational over here now. It sounds OK, except for the fan noises...

The main machine can wait a while yet while the parts become available.
  • Apple is the only way, you know ;-)

Shame yours has a noisy fan.
  • edited July 2014
    I think the fan noise is just part of this generation of mini's. The 2.26ghz one I has (generation after this one) was pretty silent.

Playing music the fan stays at it's lowest speed, 1500rpm, it's barely audible from 3m away - no biggie. In fact, for a cheapie it's really outstanding, and it's intel. I'm running Snow Leopard on it with no trouble at all.
  • I have a 2GHz one and it's silent. The only noise I get is occasional fan noise from the NAS when I'm doing a lot with it. Even then, you need to have a quiet room to hear.

Have you given the mini a good clean out?I have a 2GHz one and it's silent. The only noise I get is occasional fan noise from the NAS when I'm doing a lot with it. Even then, you need to have a quiet room to hear.

Have you given the mini a good clean out?
  • edited July 2014
    Pah.
    It's all heat sinks here. Jason fitted a nice big one inside the vented TFS media PC, so even with everything running full blast in this summer heat, there's absolutely no internal fan noise required to keep anything cool in these parts... :-)

• Ben the fan is to remove the smell of the BBQ you had on the TOCA.