Take 5

More about it here.

Comments

• Really a nice twist on that piece, Dave
  • I like the intention, the Sitar, guitar and the tom-toms but not really convinced by the the massed violins;  they don't seem to gel with the rest of it to me (sort of make a simple piece intended for half a dozen instruments seem more impersonal than perhaps it deserves).  That guitar playing is pure magic.
  • Really a nice twist on that piece, Dave
    Thanks Geoff.

And welcome!
  • Always fun to see a different take on things.
    I love tabla percussion, though I can safely say I can never quite get my head around what the player is doing, they seem to use very different rhythms, patterns and emphases to western / african percussion.
    I'm not a great fan of orchestral versions of "popular" music (e.g. "The London Philharmonic Does The Beatles") as some of the timing nuances are inevitably ironed out in the arrangement. I'll forgive that here though as I like the overall effect. Thanks Dave. :-)
  • I once went to a course about Indian music run by the TM movement.

It all made sense - cycles of rhythms and so on - at the time, but distance has led to confusion.
  • I'l see if I can dig up Ravi's rendition of "Duelling Banjos" done with Sitar and guitar. That was incredible
  • Seen Dave Brubeck perform Take. 5 in Park Avenue and Brighton, this take on it doesn't quite do it for me. I agree with the man who listens in his underpants, to me Jazz is all about timing, take that timing away and it takes the communication out of it for me .