Your lossless music collection online - stream or backup

Style Jukebox has a service which allows online storage of your lossless music and permits up to 10 devices to be linked for streaming. There is a free service with ads & a 1000 track limit, and a premium service with 20,000 track limit. The service supports most common codecs and the website is worth a look.

I expect ideas like this to be much more common in the future, this is the first time I've seen it for real.

Comments

• edited June 2014
    That's very interesting Alan

Even the Premium Plan isn't big enough for my collection, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone offers enough storage.

I'm not sure this is for me, though. It'd take aeons (at least) to upload 1/1.5 TB of music and I'd still need to maintain physical backups. Suppose the service went bust?

I can also make streaming available via my Synology NAS for free if I wanted to, with no limits to storage as long as I'm happy to buy it!

For me, at the moment, physical storage plus Spotify makes more sense as I don't need Lossless quality when I'm away from the house/office, and I can explore music before I buy - preferably in HD.

• Was my response so all-emcompassing and correct that no one has anything to add? Surely not!

Is anyone convinced by Style Jukebox?
  • I like it, I may use it when I'm up & running once again.

I feel it is the beginning of what will become the norm, rather than a definitive solution.
  • You may be right.

I'm just not running for it.
  • Yeah use the cloud but 2TB+ external hard drives as physical backup cost relative peanuts for the security of always having the files for yourself. There will be cloud providers folding and taking their customers' data with it no doubt.
  • How long did it take you to get 2TB+ of files into the cloud Neil?
  • Oh sorry I don't use cloud, I only use local & streaming from Spotify etc.

As for the answer to your question, at work it'd take 114hrs, and at home probably double that!
  • That's exactly what I do.

And having used cloud backup, that sounds conservative because in my experience these services never run at my full upload speed 
    :O
  • A bit slow to this.
    Sounds good for those with a few systems, or as back-up (depending on cost).
  • Most of mine is stored on black hard drive discs made of vinyl.  It's lossless as I haven't lost any of them yet although I have mislaid a few. Tried putting them on the internet but couldn't find a slot big enough on the computer?  :p