NVA AP30 v (modded) IncaTech Claymore mk1

edited April 2014 in Amplifiers
Suzy (aka Helen)'s just come round, so we thought we'd try out the two amps that she is able to borrow from me.
So here they are:

We used them into the JPW speakers that Suzy will be borrowing (nice speaker stands ;-) )...

Suzy's review is as follows...

The NVA AP30:

The (modded) Claymore:

I'll let Suzy elaborate...

Comments

• Suzy did the speaker fall over, Ben be more careful speakers cost money he he.  >:)
  • She's promising to post when she gets home. As yet, only the cat crushed by falling hifi...
  • Phew, were the speakers OK?  :D
  • The cat threw up his paws in a futile act of self-preservation. However one of his claws did pierce the tweeter dome as he was flattened underneath. :-(
  • As someone studying sign language, I have to say I am confused!

Is she fending off an attack in the lower picture? ;)
  • I'm staying out of interpreting those gestures. Opinions on audio equipment are too important to mistranslate. Suzy's just left and is on her way back up the M5. She promised me she'll put things into words in a bit...! :-)
  • I'm lost.

Even by your standards, Ben (and we look up to you on this kind of thing), this is a bizarre thread 
    :-B
  • The cat threw up his paws in a futile act of self-preservation. However one of his claws did pierce the tweeter dome as he was flattened underneath. :-(
    Poor cat:- let him watch some of these to cheer him up www.simonscat.com

• Alan, I'm wondering where you are studying your signlanguage, as these are 2 very common and clear signs, part of most elementary courses I'm sure :-P

In translation:
    NVA - unified, integrated sound. Rounded and full (or is that me??)
    Claymore - sparky, discrete, crisp sound, especially top end. Each element seemed distinct. Was tuning in to lots of prescussive aspects that had passed me by before.

I will be borrowing the Claymore and JPWs (thanks, mate!) Though making sure the speakers are well stabilised. Cat bills too high around here already!
  • Yes.
    I broadly agreed with Suzy's opinions.
    Both amps are good.
    There was definitely a greater sense of sepration and high end sparkle with the modded Claymore. I also thought the bass was better controlled, tho i think Suzy preferred the bass on the AP30.
    I don't know what Colin did when he modded the Claymore.... :-/ He said he was pleased with it.... As are Suzy and I.
    (Suzy can i stress the loan is a *temporary* one...?)
  • You Indian giver Ben shame on you  >:)
  • I'm told by the neighbours he placed it on the dolmen in his garden and jumped around naked shouting "Resistors are futile!" while hitting the poor amplifier with a rabbit's foot.

I'm still awaiting the YouTube link.
  • I'm told by the neighbours he placed it on the dolmen in his garden and jumped around naked shouting "Resistors are futile!" while hitting the poor amplifier with a rabbit's foot.

I do that also it is so much fun watching the neighbours looking sick and grey. Except I shout Bi-Polar are useless long live FET's.
  • edited April 2014
    I'm told by the neighbours he placed it on the dolmen in his garden and jumped around naked shouting "Resistors are futile!" while hitting the poor amplifier with a rabbit's foot.

I do that also it is so much fun watching the neighbours looking sick and grey. Except I shout Bi-Polar are useless long live FET's.
    I obviously got my facts wrong. Sorry about that Col

I obviously got my facts wrong. Sorry about that Col
    No just completely different view point, long live Wotan.
  • Doc says: (Suzy can i stress the loan is a *temporary* one...?) -

Suzy says - Darn it! I knew I shouldn't have let you know where I live ;-)

Am very excited by the lend. Looking forward to hearing my old music in a new way. This audiophile lark is contagious!! I'm worrying about cables now. What the hell is happening to me????

Just to check in with my x-chromosome, I have to add that (incidental to the sound quality) I found the Claymore to be the more aesthetically pleasing. "Compact" was Doc's term. I think mine were something along the lines of "beautiful...retro...cute" (soz Colin!). Also, just to let you know, it's rhubarb cake on the menu this week.
  • OK who mention Rhubard I love Rhubarb

Watch Eric on here:-

• edited April 2014
    Rhubarb Cake!!! :-D

I did stewed rhubarb the other weekend. It was like Rhubarb Cake without the cake.
  • Rhubarb Cake!!! :-D

I did stewed rhubarb the other weekend. It was like Rhubarb Cake without the cake.
    Brilliant.

(I tried that once. The day after earing i couldn't get off the loo...)

• edited April 2014
    Ahem! Try putting it in your mouth rather than your ear next time.

It may not help, but at least you can listen to the hi-fi.
  • I'm not a big fan of rhubarb, does that mean I'm not a real audiophile? I like this combination though:

Col is himself petite, cute and kind of retro!  Fnaaaaar fnar fnar!
  • I'm not a big fan of rhubarb, does that mean I'm not a real audiophile? I like this combination though:

Col is himself petite, cute and kind of retro!  Fnaaaaar fnar fnar!
    FWIW I did custard wiv the rhubarb.
  • OK, you may have saved it in that case!

'The Claymore - An amplifier for Rhubarb lovers'. (Available with optional custard upgrade)

Also benefits from suitably expensive isolation platforms:

There. I should be in marketing.
  • Can I put in an order for a dozen isolation platforms please???
  • Not from Alan they all will have testing teeth marks I have seen them.
  • Can I upgrade my order to Bourbons please?

When I can afford it, I'll go for the German engineering found in Choco Leibniz, though.