TOCA HELP !

edited December 2013 in Amplifiers
Ok either Paul or Colin,
After the failed attempt to keep this i sent it working perfectly to its new owner. Unfortunately on arrival he has plugged in and it apparently is working on one channel but humming from the the left channel with a distinct burning smell. He had the lid off but can't see anything. Ideas as i obviously.feeling obliged to sort this out.

Many thanks Chris

Comments

• edited December 2013
    Hi Chris

Colin is in France at the moment, so he may not see this immediately. I am sure he will help you when he sees this, though.

May I suggest you also contact 'quickie' (unless that is the Paul you are referring to), as he has experience with these.

A private message to them both should alert them - go to 'inbox' at the top of the page, start a new discussion and add quickie and colin as recipients.

I hope you get this sorted mate,

Alan
  • Cheers Alan, will do i really can't understand what has happened as it has run faultless since it arrived from Paul.
  • Hello, I am said new owner. Figured I should join up for the sake of efficient communication. Appreciate your efforts so far Chris and sure we'll figure out a solution... if not I will keep it to use as my headstone!
    Ian
  • Hello Ian,
    Is it possible the box has been dropped and something become dislodged. Although its built like a bricks..t house. Waiting for Colin or Paul.
  • Hi Chris

There is a mark on the box. It hasn't pierced the cardboard but its definitely possible there was a knock. One of the heatsink fans in the area where the box is marked is off line a bit, but then they're not all 100% straight so I can't be sure if that's related. Anyway I think it's definitely worth making a claim once we have an idea of necessary repairs.

And then I need to learn to drive!

Ian

• That's been dropped, Muppet couriers
    CLAIM will be lodged later.

I really do apologise about this , i think my days of sending things has ended.

Chris
  • Not your fault mate... mine too...
  • I had a text from Colin earlier. He's in France and Web access is not good where he is, but he says he'll help out when he returns.

That's after sales service for you!
  • edited December 2013
    http://thehutproject.co.uk/TOCASECA.html
    Ouch.
    Hope the claim goes through.

Numpties
  • Cheers Dave.
  • Have you checked the fuses ?

There are 4 on each pcb. One for each voltage rail + ht and output.

Paul.
  • Hi Paul. A couple of them are quite tough to get at but all appear to be intact and in place. Ill try swopping them over and see what effect this has.
  • ...all are clear too with no burning.
  • ok, can't get at them all to try a swop but as above they all look as they should. i'll try to get hold of a multimeter today to double check.
  • Check mica washers have not cracked
  • edited December 2013
    Got it, or got something: on the first of five 3-pin connectors between PCB and heatsink on the right hand side the first pin has broken.

http://thehutproject.co.uk/TocaDamage.jpg

Likely culprit?
  • Colin pm'd me he's back monday, but it is obviously a result of being dropped Ian lets hope there isn't anything else amiss PLEASE.
  • My lingo's not good but these are the jobbies I have a spare set of which bodes well...
  • Okay men looking to get a quote for repair cost on the beastie. 

atb Chris
  • If you can get the beast to me, I will take a look.

Paul.
  • Eastone...sending you a PM
  • Thanks Paul