RFC Mansions Bake Off

PACPAC
edited June 2013 in Systems
As per Docs request, a new thread to collate interest in a bake off here during September.  A chance to listen to the RFC Fidelio loudspeakers and I may even have a few Jolida valve integrateds to play with as well as the EAR 869 and RFC-MC1.  I can realistically cater for up to 5 or 6 max bodies in the listening room (still breathing of course), and so far have:

Doc;
Col;
David (maybe?);
Alan (maube?);
Sovereign
Figlett

That seems to be about it. Can always arrange another day but of those listed would like to confirm we can start thinking about dates and details.

Plinky plonky jazz strictly verboten [-X

I'll supply the muffins and if weather permits it could be a BBQ event (bring a sausage!)

Comments

• Sounds great mate - I am a tentative yes, but being self employed and with young family things may come up, so to speak. Happy to be relegated to the subs bench, if someone else really wants to go.
  • Yep, I'm well up for it - thanks Paul.

Off to Crete from the 20th Sept, so would need to be before then for me...
  • BTW, I'll bring some top notch Swedish red-neck music as I know it's a favorite for Ben and Dave...
  • Thanks Paul. Got a good feeling about this one. :-)
    I'm on holiday 23-30 august. Other than that fine for weekends.
    Btw if any of the long distance attendees would like to stay at mine (about 25 mins from Paul) I can probably accomodate.
  • BTW, I'll bring some top notch Swedish red-neck music as I know it's a favorite for Ben and Dave...
    Obviously my accomodation invite will be withdrawn if you carry out this threat.
  • just one thing.... Having asked for early Sept, I can't do 7/8th.

Otherwise, I'll be there one way or another.
  • So have we narrowed it down to either the 14th or 15th?
  • That would work for me.
  • So have we narrowed it down to either the 14th or 15th?
    Sounds good to me, I'm away most of August but mid Sept is fine.
  • 14th or 15th OK for me.
  • edited June 2013
    As per Docs request, a new thread to collate interest in a bake off here during September.  A chance to listen to the RFC Fidelio loudspeakers and I may even have a few Jolida valve integrateds to play with as well as the EAR 869 and RFC-MC1.  I can realistically cater for up to 5 or 6 max bodies in the listening room (still breathing of course), and so far have:

Doc;
    Col;
    David (maybe?);
    Alan (maube?);
    Sovereign
    Figlett

That seems to be about it. Can always arrange another day but of those listed would like to confirm we can start thinking about dates and details.

I'll supply the muffins and if weather permits it could be a BBQ event (bring a sausage!)
    Is Cider OK ? And ABBA?
  • As per Docs request, a new thread to collate interest in a bake off here during September.  A chance to listen to the RFC Fidelio loudspeakers and I may even have a few Jolida valve integrateds to play with as well as the EAR 869 and RFC-MC1.  I can realistically cater for up to 5 or 6 max bodies in the listening room (still breathing of course), and so far have:

Doc;
    Col;
    David (maybe?);
    Alan (maube?);
    Sovereign
    Figlett

Is Cider OK ? And ABBA?
    Oh, we're back to a red neck Swedish experience again...
    Jason!
  • As per Docs request, a new thread to collate interest in a bake off here during September.  A chance to listen to the RFC Fidelio loudspeakers and I may even have a few Jolida valve integrateds to play with as well as the EAR 869 and RFC-MC1.  I can realistically cater for up to 5 or 6 max bodies in the listening room (still breathing of course), and so far have:

Doc;
    Col;
    David (maybe?);
    Alan (maube?);
    Sovereign
    Figlett

Alan Maube...
    I checked the definition of "Maube" and was pleased to discover its meaning...
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=,maube
  • edited June 2013

Is Cider OK ? And ABBA?
    Jason!
    Say no more Ben - I've packed it already in case I forget later (all 3 albums). 

I have also just discovered this Ukulele-playing Australian London girl... check it - you'll dig it the most... 

Is Cider OK ? And ABBA?
    Jason!
    Say no more Ben - I've packed it already in case I forget later (all 3 albums). 

I have also just discovered this Ukulele-playing Australian London girl... check it - you'll dig it the most... 

Oh god...do I have to...?
  • edited June 2013
    Suck it up pal. There's plenty more crap where that came from ... I have them lined up waiting for any opportunity in ANY thread to shoe-horn them in...Smiley
  • Maube? Moi? Shirley not!

I like the Swedish red-neck music. Jason, ignore these Philistines!
  • I knew I could rely on you Alan. I've always thought you had the best music taste out of all of them on here  :P
    And may I say how super excellent the last 2 Trek movies have been - well done sir.

Listen long and prosper...
  • Nope, not being sarcastic. 
    I genuinely love First Aid Kit, the Swedish red-neck sisters and compliment you for appreciating them. 
    And I genuinely LOVED the rebooted Trek films. I've seen the first one 5 or 6 times (in fact whenever it's on TV) and the new one on the IMAX 3D - wow what an experience - had a massive grin on my face most of the way through. 
    I think the casting is superb especially Zachary Quinto as Spock. I thought he was superb in Heros and was really pleased to see him cast as the new Spock. The new Kirk is also really good as are all the others.
    And I loved the Spock-on-Spock humour.
    My compliment to you as the official forum spokesperson for Trek was genuine and appropriate.

And no, this isn't me being sarcastic about not being sarcastic :D

• Figlet's Blog Supplemental: I forgot to say above that with regard to the casting it's something that Trek got very right compared to Star Wars getting very wrong with the prequels. I think the Wars prequels casting was mostly all wrong...
  • I have been, and always shall be your friend. Live long, and prosper.

Don't pay any attention to the musical critique of our esteemed colleagues, since Jim Kemton left (to pursue a life outside the internet) there has been more culture in a yoghurt pit than on 'Chews!

The casting on the new Treks was utterly pant-wettingly super cool, I do agree (Dr McCoy is my fave), and I am just slightly ultra-jealous that you saw 'into darkness' in 3d at iMax... BTW, in a public service spirited suggestion, people going to see the new film should watch the original sequel (wrath of Kahn) first, as the crossovers and references are very clever indeed (and quite affectionate).

J.J.Abrams is doing the new Star Wars sequels I believe, so I hope he will do as excellent a job there as he did with Trek, perhaps even righting a few casting wrongs. And murdering Ja Ja Bunks, hopefully. I hear he dropped Disneys first idea, which was cartoon musicals... (D'oh! peaceful co-existance between 'Trek and 'Wars, and I ruined it! It was going so well, too!)
  • I once had a Swedish red neck experience....long before I was married I hasten to add ;) :)) :-*
  • Boom! Boom!
  • The Fidelios have literally just had the final development tweaks completed, resulting in some minor tweaks to port loading and damping.  Anyone thinking of bringing an amp should find that anything from 15 watts (valve) or 25 to 35 watts (SS) should be enough to make them rock.  They sound markedly better than when Ben last auditioned them.  FR is within 5 or 6dB across the audible range from 30Hz to 15KHz and the bass is pretty visceral (you have been warned!).  Bring your favourite system killer tracks or just music you know really well and enjoy.  You'll be getting to hear these possibly before the official review has been published.

We can put up one or two people in addition to Ben's kind offer and home made Bread and beer will be available.
  • I'm bringing 12 watts tranny!
  • I will bring something ugly and big,                                                                        OK you guessed it ME. :((

• We love you, Col  8->
  • edited June 2013
    I have been, and always shall be your friend. Live long, and prosper.
    We love you, Col  8->
    I'm sensing an old fashioned (manly) group hug on the cards before we start the listening sesh...
    :x
  • edited June 2013
    I once had a Swedish red neck experience....long before I was married I hasten to add ;) :)) :-*
    Well I suppose most of us have - it was the fashion back then... ah, good times  8->

Can't wait to hear the Fidelios Paul.
    Although I will try and find some music to try and break them, you know, just for fun :D
    Hmm, maybe one of the less well-known cave-bands from Tatooine...
  • I once had a Swedish red neck experience....long before I was married I hasten to add ;) :)) :-*
    Well I suppose most of us have - it was the fashion back then... ah, good times  8->

Can't wait to hear the Fidelios Paul.
    Although I will try and find some music to try and break them, you know, just for fun :D
    Hmm, maybe one of the less well-known cave-bands from Tatooine...
    Many have tried, none have succeeded!

Had an interested party in this morning listening.  I spun up the Sheffield Drum Labs 7 minute drum solo and he visibly jumped and looked behind him (don't know what he was expecting to find there LoL) when the kick drum thwacked itself into the room =)) That was before he started to feel his chest.  I thought he was having a heart attack and asked if he was ok, but he was just amused to find it was the first set of speakers he'd heard that viscerally kicked in the chest with some bass material.  Too used to little boxes I guess.  plenty of the big un's allow you to feel the bass.  It's addictive!
  • edited June 2013
    I have been, and always shall be your friend. Live long, and prosper.
    We love you, Col  8->
    I'm sensing an old fashioned (manly) group hug on the cards before we start the listening sesh...
    May be something more...invigorating...at the end for the owner of the winning amp...?
  • I have been, and always shall be your friend. Live long, and prosper.
    We love you, Col  8->

May be something more...invigorating...at the end for the owner of the winning amp...?

EEEEEK!  :O :-t
  • BTW, not sure I'll be bringing an amp...
    Especially if Jason is bringing his NVA amp.
    I hard wired the mains cables for my NVA TSS power amp's PSU, my NVA TFS music's PSU and my NVA AP30 integrated into a special 4 way plug. Consequently they are all tethered together which makes them rather inconvenient to move around.
    This soldering remains the high water mark =D> of my electronics career, and I am not sure I want to break it. And as I say, as Jason (AFAIK) uses similar amplification to me there is not much to be gained from me bringing mine.
    I have one of Colin's old Claymore, but it has a fault and I haven't got off my fat arse to have it mended.
    My dad has an NVA AP10 that I could borrow if we wanted to try a feather weight jobby for comparison.
  • If you bring the Claymore around, we can take the top off and run the multi-meter over it.  It's likely a perished cap or something simple. Well worth repairing...the Claymore's a cracking amp.
  • If you bring the Claymore around, we can take the top off and run the multi-meter over it.  It's likely a perished cap or something simple. Well worth repairing...the Claymore's a cracking amp.
    Blimey, that's a kind thought Paul. Thanks.
    A bake-off and electronics master class all in one.
    Muchly appreciated.

• Didn't say it wouldn't catch fire and blow up in a miniature mushroom cloud...just that we can have a play with it  :))
    Blimey, that's a kind thought Paul. Thanks.
    A bake-off and pyrotechnics master class all in one.
    Muchly appreciated.

Ficsed
  • edited July 2013
    Due to family circumstances I now find I can't come over sorry, oh a Multi-Meter may not show you the possible faults in the "Claymore" please take it from one who understands.
  • How about a crystal ball...?
  • Sorry to hear that Col...hope everything's ok for you.

Yes, was aware that a multi-meter isn't the sole arbitor of fault finding, but we can have a look and see if there's something obvious.

If we've all now got a date for the diary that suits everyone can I pencil in 14th September then?

For those not sat-nav savvy, I can provide directions
  • Nothing as advanced as pencils here mate, I've scratched it into the wall of the Dave Cave.
  • edited July 2013
    @ Ben: yes I can bring a TSS if no one else is bringing one

@ Paul: 14th is good for me.

@ Claymore: Be afried, be very afried...
  • Yikes! How many amps are we going to be getting through?
  • Depends on how rough those speakers are. Perhaps someone should bring some JPWs, just to be safe?
  • Well, I think any NVA should be the lowest priority as most of us there know very well how they sound...
  • Fair point - it's a long way to hear something I lived with for years.
  • PACPAC
    edited July 2013
    Depends on how rough those speakers are. Perhaps someone should bring some JPWs, just to be safe?
    good idea...something to put the coffee cups and and muffins on  :))

As to amps...we probably have enough to be going on with ;) 
  • Hi Paul. Do you still have room at the Inn? I need to check my diary but I would be interested in coming along if there's space.
  • I could bring .........myself